Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Nice Bike Shorts!



[update 2008-04-15. State Farm has pulled the ad. Old cowboy proverb: when you find you're digging yourself into a hole, the first thing you should do is stop digging. Kudos to them, if a bit late.]

Right. Unh-huh. I like what they said here:

Yeah, he's dressed like a freak but he is also extremely fit, athletic and healthy. Sheila's teasing him, but that's because she thinks Jim is hot. The idea flickers across your medial prefrontal cortex, that part of the brain the neuromarketers are always trying to get to: "Hey, maybe I could get fit and healthy by biking to work like Jim. For $369 a year and whatever gas money I'd save by not driving I could buy a really nice bike."
It makes me want to publish a 30-second ad of an obese emphysemic shoving an oxygen tank into the car, turning to the camera, saying

State Farm loves it when you drive. Don't you want to be like me?

No comments: